Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Best Animated Movies

Hi friends!
      It's been an average day. Had the school show for Matilda which I've been working on as a dresser. I went to work, and I made dinner(Mexican rice, corn and refried bean tostadas) while watching Transylvania 3, funny movie btw. Animated movies are my favorite. I got my husband to watch "The Croods" with me last night. If you haven't seen it, you should. It's a hilarious, and a heart warming film. (warning: one of those "I'm not crying, you are" moments are in this film) Anyway, I digress. Nothing too exciting about my day. My husband won't be home tonight until late because of something for school so here I am trying to find ways to occupy my time. Tonight I feel like writing. When you think "the urge to write" you probably think of creating poetry, books, plays, or maybe music. I have those urges sometimes, but not tonight. I'm feeling social tonight. Since I'm on a movie kick let me just tell you about my top favorite animated movies. There's no number because picking favorites is way too hard.
      I wish to preface this by saying that I enjoy many more movies than these, but each of these movies are timeless or made my day. They stick out just a bit more than the rest in being quotable, having great characters, being funny, over all feel good movies, family friendly, and/or a great music score. Don't worry, I won't spoil any of the movies, so you can go watch them if you haven't. My comments will be brief about each one as there are close to thirty. Without further ado, here we go.

I don't think there's a person alive who doesn't like this movie. The music is perfectly fitting, the characters are great, the story line so much fun, and this move it literally one of the best to quote.


I watched this movie and couldn't breath because I was laughing so hard. As a child it's fun, as an adult, I dare you not to laugh, especially if you've ever taken care of children. The relationships in this movie are wonderful and the film has a cute message.
This is another movie where I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe. My husband Jordan took me on a date to the theater to see this movie when it came out. I'd been having a really hard time and this movie is just what I needed. It's so funny and the story concept is a delightful twist. 
This is a great film about family, and being brave. It's hilarious and touching. I cried last time I watched it(yesterday). 
This is a great movie as well. Great character development, fun plot, and relevant message. 
I freaking love this movie! Another great one to quote, a lovely music score, wonderful characters and so funny. I made my would be husband watch this one when I found out he'd never seen it while we were dating. 
Ahh Tangeled. Another wonderful music score, great story and characters. I'm on the better than Frozen team FYI. (I also love Frozen. Saw it for the second time a few months ago and it was even funnier. Also great music score. You go Idina Menzel).
This series is pretty great. It's rare that the continuing movies are very good, but I enjoyed all of these movies, though the fourth one is definitely the lowest in ranking. The 1st and 3rd are pretty close together for me. Love the characters, the humor and the heart warming messages. Also quotable. 


I love Jodi Benson(voice of Little Mermaid)! She voices Thumbelina. This is my favorite version of Thumbelina. It has a wonderful music score, and engaging plot. Go watch it. Great duet in this one. 

I really love Tarzan. As most Disney movies, it's better as I grow older. The humor, the characters...Turk is my favorite. I have not seen this live action remake because I'm scared it'll be ruined. 

Sigh, so good. Again-the music, the characters, humor, quotes galore. I'm holding out judgement on the upcoming live action remake. No Mushu or music though? It'll be rough, but has great potential. 
This series I actually enjoyed. All three of them. The score is wonderful, enthralling plot, the characters expressive, and Timone is the best. The live action remake...not so much. It was beautifully animated, but they were all lifeless, their faces not reflecting what emotion their voices might portray at times, and scar can't sing. Way to ruin "Be Prepared" one of the best villain songs. While there are many things I didn't like about the remake, there were good things too and I did enjoy it. I've seen it once and now I'll go back to the original.  
Another live action remake I'm holding out judgement for. The original is so funny, also a great score and characters. Another one of those gets better as you grow older movies. 
Freaking love this movie!! Love the music(great villain song), the story is one I've been obsessed with my whole life, and great balance of serious and funny with great message. Wonderful characters.
See above comments for they also apply to this movie. 
Did I mention quotable? So good, so sweet, and Ellen really shines as a voice actor here. 
I can't even express how much I love this movie. The music is the best, the character relationships heart wrenching, also good balance of serious and funny. The stage musical wasn't as good as I hoped. I saw it at Tuacahn Theater in Utah on my honeymoon. They did develop the brother relationship more which I liked, and they added the song I wanted about how hard it was for Moses to do what he was doing do the people and place that he once called home. What I didn't like was how they changed the portrayal of God. They made him seem like some powerful being that you had to listen to... Perhaps the best way to explain it is that they took out the faith component of the story which to any christian audience doesn't really sit right. It's obviously a christian story, so why they bother taking the christian part out is beyond me.  
So good. I need to make my husband watch this one. Warmhearted story. My favorite scene from this movie is when the kid is praying and sees the giant's hand. I can't even. 
Heartwarming, family friendly and funny. Who doesn't love E? "Don't beg me darling, you know I won't do it. All right I accept." 
What a classic. Wonderful music, the magic, the characters ugh... so good. The stage musical isn't as good as the movie, but is still enjoyable. The live action remake... I won't even get into everything wrong with it. Just makes me upset. 
Another great score, great nostalgic feel, humor, characters. Sigh. Even if you don't like animal movies(cough my husband), go watch it. The only reason I know who Bryan Adams is. (He was the singer for the score). My husband tells me he sings summer of 69. I do know that song. Also Hans Zimmer really is a great composer. 
Great for laugh and inspiring message about why people are they way they are and how they can change. Don't judge man!
Love, love, love. So funny and you go Susan for standing up for yourself and realizing your a strong independent women who don't need no man to bring her down. (Without spoiling this movie, I cannot explain this comment further). Also the power of friends is real!
Hammy is too much. Love it. Funny and heartwarming. Life from the perspective of animals is interesting to me. Shout out to The Secret Life of Pets 1 and 2. Also great movies!
My favorite version of Sinbad. Great character development, relationships, funny, and the mythology is interesting.
This is one of Disney's greatest treasures. Lovely score and great twist on the original story. Beautifully made too.It's a shame that it flopped. I've never met someone who didn't like it. I watched an interesting You Tube video one possible reasons why it flopped and Disney never really talks about it. If you're a dis-nerd like me, you'll find it interesting too. Here's the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9sycdSkngA
This is also one I need to make my husband watch. One of my favorites from my childhood. Hilarious, fun songs and good message. (seems to be a pattern)
Agh you guys! Phil Collins is where it's at, am I right! The music is so good, the story is happy, funny, heart warming and tragic at the same time. The 2nd one we pretend never happened. 
This is another one where we pretend the 2nd one never happened. The first one though is amazing. I'm obsessed with myths and history. This story has me covered. The music score is also amazing. Kida and Milo are a power couple whom I support all the way. Childhood admission: Sometimes when I took a shower I would pretend I was Kida walking on water toward the crystal(The shower head). I'd accompany myself by singing the soundtrack that played in that scene. The joys of childhood. Good times. 
Honorable mentions
Wreck it Ralph(not the 2nd), Inside Out, Aladdin 1 and 3 (not the live action, we'll talk), How to Train your Dragon(not the 2nd, haven't seen the 3rd), The Lego Movie, Monsters Inc(not the 2nd), Ratatouille, Fantasia, Lilo and Stitch, Into the Spider Verse, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and The Bee Movie for being quotable.  
-------
Well this has been a fun walk down great animated movies lane. Let me know if you feel like another one should be on this list or if one should be taken off. I'd love to debate that with you. Don't bother trying to convince me that "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" should be on this list. Also don't bother with Tim Burton movies. Not my thing. Agree to disagree.  I still need to watch Boss Baby. My husband is working on it. :) Tune in next time on Art, the Universe and Everything to hear about...Surprise. ;)
Peace friends!




2 comments:

  1. I adore this list and so many of those films easily make their way onto my favourites list. I am with you on team Tangled, it is miles better than Frozen. I adore Tarzan as well, and the Phil Collins soundtrack was surprisingly fitting and insanely catchy.
    Lion King has got to be up there with my all time favourites, and Anastasia deserves more love. Bottom line, I love this list. :D

    - Lois @ My Midnight Musing

    ReplyDelete