Monday, April 25, 2016

Host family, L'arc de Triomphe et Plus!!! 
        In case you were wondering it's been freezing the whole time we've been here. Rained a bit and the wind will not stop blowing. The weather will be the death of me. Anyway, moving on. This morning we left our hotel to go to our host families!!!! Super exciting. I actually got up in time to enjoy breakfast this morning, which was great. Still not sleeping well, but i'm sure that will come in time. It took about forty-five minutes or so to get there. They live in the suburbs across the Seine. Its a beautiful neighborhood with lots of cool houses. Our host family's house is gorgeous!!!! One of the nicest houses I've ever been in. It's vintage nice which is different. Our host mother greeted us and helped us settle in before going on a errand. She is sooooo nice! I was nervous for nothing. We ended up having lunch with her, which was cordon blue, veggies and coos coos. Super good. After lunch she showed us around the neighborhood;where to find the train station, the super market etc. Then, McKenna and I went back to Paris to exchange her US money for Euros and then site see for a bit. It took us about an hour or so to find the money exchange place which she had the address for, but it's ok. We're just getting to know Paris. We had a proud moment today. Some people, Americans I presume, heard us talking and mistook us for French/English people and asked us for directions. Our french is getting better I think. ;) We found a great crepe place which we went back to after the arch. Mckenna and I went to the Arc de Triomphe and took lots of pictures. It was AWESOME!!!! Super cold, but awesome. We couldn't go inside because it was closed, but we'll go another time. We met up with two other girls in our group, Dina and Jessica, while there. Did a lot of walking and exploring. We walk about as much as we ride the metro or the RER. No worries about not having any exercise. After having crepes, we all went home for dinner with our families. Had a few problems getting home, but we figured it out with time to spare to make it to dinner. We'll become real Parisians before you know it. We met our host father and sister. They are both really nice. Dinner was super good. Some sort of egg thing with cheese which you put tomato sauce on, and salad. Afterwards we had cheese and dessert; chocolate cake. I can't help feeling like the orphan, Annie when she sings, "I think I'm gonna like it here!" #Feeling blessed :) 
   

For all those people out there who think I don't eat, this is for you. Our last breakfast at the hotel. J'adore le pain du chocolat!!! I'm determined to learn to like Greek yogurt while i'm here. It's really the only yogurt they seem to have. It will be a hard task considering it's like eating sour cream, but my host mother suggested putting sugar in it(they it for dessert here) and it wasn't too bad.
On our way to our host families!!!! Super excited!
Drinks here are often served in large glass bottles Quel fancy n'est-ce pas?
I get my own room!!!!!!! I never thought that would happen. Ever!!!! It's awesome!!!!!
 Also part of my room. I also have microwave and a cupboard. McKenna feels cool behind the counter.
Call me weird, but this lock and key made me soooo happy!!! They're all over the house!!!! This particular one is to my cupboard.
back yard view

front yard view

Mckenna and I in front of our house!!! It's a beautiful home close to the Seine. Natalie and Haley live around the corner from us. There are a lot of cool houses in this neighborhood.
Mckenna got excited when she found a store with her name on it.
Entertainment on the metro. An accordion today, a saxophone and trumpet yesterday, its awesome. I think he felt entitled to a tip after he noticed me taking a picture, which we gave him. Good luck man.


 Had fun visiting the Arch de Triomphe today. Can you tell i was excited?
Yes we are in the middle of the street by the rotonde d'arc de Triomphe. Is it dangerous? Yes, yes it is, but we survived. :) We are brave. Were we scared? Yes, yes we were, but it was worth it.
A grave site in the middle of the arch.
McKenna, Dina, Moi, and Jessica in front of the arch.

 Disney store down the street from the arch. Notice the Awesome, official looking security dude in the doorway.
Thought it was awesome that there was a street named after our American president.
L'ibrairie d'art. A very beautiful building we passed on the way to the metro after the arch.

3 comments: