Saturday, May 7, 2016

A Day at the Flea Market
Today's walk is exploring the biggest flea market in the world. It was pretty cool actually. There are what seems like endless streets of small shops filled with all sorts of things from tourist items to legit antiques; furniture, kitchen stuff, paintings, old post cards and posters, clothes, jewelry, toys, keys, dolls, books etc. There are things here that museums would love to have. I bought myself a little decorated egg and a skeleton key. It was cool to look around and see all the things people had. I wander how they even got them, if they were handed down, or bought, etc. The market is super expensive in general and ranges from fancy, well decorated shops to simple set ups. One day when I'm rich I'll come back. The area itself is kind of really sketchy. When we first got off the metro a women came up to us and told us to keep our purses in front of our bodies because their are cutters here. Cutters are pic pockets who cut the straps of your bag in order to take it from you entirely instead of being sneaky and taking something from inside it. They are the "lower level of respect" pic pocketers.  We stayed in groups and were careful, so we had no problems. I've gotten really good at ignoring the salesmen in the streets. We left around one pm. We had got there around nine am. Not bad. We didn't even see it all, that how huge it really is. It's like a maze in there. The whole time we were there I kept picturing a bad guy/ cop chase happening. It would have been awesome. The setting is perfect. They strongly discourage pictures here, so I didn't take any except the two you see below. You'll have to use your imaginations.

 Found this wall and had to take a picture. expectations or not. I Love this wall.
I quickly snapped this picture so you can see a bit of what the market looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment