Friday, May 27, 2016

Eighteenth Century Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous
Culture activity 2


                                            Pastry of the day: une tarte d'apricot. Super good.
 
Le Musee Jacquemart-Andre was incredible. It's a house that belonged to it's name sake in the nineteenth century. They were just a rich couple that decided to live it up by filling their house with decor from the eighteenth century. There's even a personal museum on the second floor that has things form around the world. A mural they bought from Italy took eight months to install. I love the palm tree touch. Reminds me of home.
 

The picture isn't very good because of the lighting in this room, but this chair reminds me of the electric chair and since it's in a room designed to resemble a church it seemed fitting to assume that the chair is a punishment for sinners.
One of my favorite paintings in the museum. It's by Eugene Boudin.

The Mr and Mrs bedrooms. They both have a women's touch because after the Mr died, the Mrs redecorated his room, though at the time the well off men certainly had rooms that would be considered feminine now, so whatevs. I like it.
On our way to the Parc Monceau which was created in the eighteenth century.  This park isn't a tourist spot, but it's very popular with the locals, so there were a lot of people from all ages. I've decided it's one of, if not my favorite parks in Paris. It's quite beautiful and there are fake ruins all over the park because they were popular during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. This park is also where the first ever hot air balloon landed in 1797. Pretty cool.
 
This tree was planted in 1814. It's pretty cool.
A giant fork and spoon...why?
 

 

 Can you see now what I mean about this park being awesome? Also this tree reminds me of an elephant.
Le Musee Nissim de Carmondo is like the first museum, but smaller. It's quite impressive an houses some of the grandest furniture in Paris. The porcelain is quite nice.
 
This is an old fashioned elevator!!!!

 
Can I have a desk like this?
 
 I found the men's smoking room....
                                                         I want this library!!!!!!!
Saw this trinket in a shop by the park. Thought it was funny looking. A rhino on stilts? Your thoughts?
 This is called a Brioche. It's bread with sugar on top of it. Actually pretty good. Needs a bit more sugar though.
 

 Riding a random bus to the end of the line because we had time to kill and saw these things. :)
No, I wasn't being creepy, I was simply studying the relationship rituals of people in France and observing the world around me which happened to include watching this girl stuff grass down her, presumably, boyfriend's shirt, him standing up to empty his shirt, and then getting situated on the grass where she sat down next to him like this. They were flirting up a storm. Maybe I', weird, but I can live with that.
 
Moi, McKenna and Maddie at the semi-finals of the international poetry slam held in Belleville. It was actually quite good. Really cool to watch each contestant perform in their own language and see the passion and emotion that they performed with. There were contestants from Quebec, Holland, Brazil, Italy, USA, and Denmark. I've decided that Danish is a weird sounding language, a bit similar to Asian in the inflections used by the poet. My top three went on to the next round. Yay!!! I felt pretty cool being able to understand most of the french that was used. Also, they had bubbles at the door!!! This kid wasn't the only one who enjoyed them. The MC's Son performed a short poem in the beginning to start us off. It was so cute. This kid is the furthest from shy. He was up there dancing and singing on stage while waiting for the contest to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment