Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The Jewish Quarter and le Musee Picasso
Wednesday, May 25th.     Well I'm still alive, so you can all rejoice now. Still not totally normal, and I still don't know why I've reacted the way I have, but we'll see. I've found the french equivalent of benadryl and will wait a few days before trying the cereal again to see if that's the cause. Hopefully it's not because then i'll have to tell my host mother she gave me food I can't eat, she'll feel bad and have to be careful about what she gets me in the future, when to be honest I'd rather not go through the ordeal. Plus allergies just suck. I'd rather not have them at all. Luckily, i'm pretty sure the word for allergy in french is simply allergie, so that makes it simpler. The lady at the pharmacie didn't know what I was asking for, but she typed it into the system and it came out of a machine in the wall! Talk about fancy. Funny story; I was looking at the ingredients on the cereal box to check for whatever might have given me the reaction and I was like, "wow! I don't know what any of these are...Oh wait. This isn't in English." Ya...Not my brightest moment. It wasn't in french either in my defense. Anyway, today started out a bit interesting. We were on the RER going to school this morning when an announcer told everyone to get off the train, that there was a mysterious package being investigated on the tracks somewhere ahead that was throwing off the whole schedule and we were to find other ways of transport or wait until further notice. We ended up taking the bus from Nanterre all the way to Concorde, Paris where we took the metro to Hotel de Ville. It took us about two hours to get to class, in what normally only takes us about forty minutes. We've never taken the bus before, so that was fun to figure out. It was cool though because we got to see some things that we never would have seen had we traveled differently. Needless to say, we missed class entirely. We got there a few minutes after class ended. Our teacher was understanding though. Not really our fault after all. We were given a handout to catch up on what we missed and were off to start our walk of the day. Today we did le Maree part two. It was a shorter walk. I think we completed it in about threeish hours. It was cool though. We got to explore the Jewish quarter of Paris and went to three museums. The first museum is the national archives of Paris. It has all kinds of cool, old, and important documents among other things. The other two were the Hotel Soubise, and le musee Picasso. McKenna started getting a migraine at the archives, so she and I ended up speeding through the next two museums, so she could go home. I'm ok with that because, we didn't speed too quickly through the Hotel Soubise, but we speed through the Musee Picasso, who I think, in my expert opinion after studying him a decent amount in the many museums we've been to, is a weird dude who made weird stuff. Talented maybe, but weird and perhaps a bit disturbed. I found the architecture of the museum more interesting then the work the museum was made for. The building has four floors if I remember right and winding staircases and passageways that are interconnected in a interesting way. It would be super epic to play hide and seek in there. Luckily the trains were back to normal on our way home, so we made good time and went to the store to pick up a few things before getting home around four pm. We found a spider in my room that was humongous! That makes three spiders of significant size in the last month. I think someone needs to come and inspect the house for spiders, just go through and mass kill them all. They trespassed in my space, I offered a chance for them to leave, they didn't take it, so they needed to die. I think i'm pretty fair about it. Anyway, an eventful day. :)
Pastry of the day: Roule...choc. Something like that. Its rolled up deliciousness with chocolate.  Quite filling too. Or maybe I just wasn't hungry today. That happens every now and then.
Jewish synagogue. I've never seen one before. It was awesome. We couldn't go inside though. Understandable. Can you imagine if tourists came into one of our churches during a meeting and did their thing during the service? I wouldn't like that either.
 
Exploring the Jewish quarter there are many plaques dedicated to those who were imported during the war. Also, I thought it was cool how they have the star of David, and the candles in random places. The Jewish quarter as you can imagine used to be filled with mainly Jews, but now that is not the case, though there are still some Jews there and the Jewish influence can be seen around the quarter. The people were nicer in this area then in others. Don't know why, but it was appreciated.
 
Another plaque, some cool street art, and a book store with awesome Hebrew or Arabic on it. I don't know the difference, but i'm assuming it's Hebrew.
 
Another plaque, and this cool looking building that I know nothing about, but it's awesome, right?
 
This is the national archives also known as Hotel Soubise. Its a pretty building with a nice courtyard and grand staircase of honor.
 

 

 
Ok, this place has some really awesome, old things!!! From left to right: the deplome of Charlemagne, gorgeous, old chandelier, and the signing of Le Jeu de Pommes from the first revolution.
 

 
 These books are from the seventeen hundreds! This is an old thermometer/clock that's cool, and a model of Bastille before it was destroyed by the mobs during the revolution.
  
Left to right: Oldest written work in the archives. It's papyrus and dates from 625. Cool right? Scroll that was used before they came up with notebooks. It's super long. That would be fun to look up something in. I picture someone surrounded by a long sheet of paper as if it was Rapunzel's hair. A really thick, old book from the sixteen hundreds. I think it's as thick as my hand and a half.
 
On the left is a letter written in code and someone trying to decipher it.  Dates from the eighteenth century I think. Could be wrong. On the right i  the famous Edict of Nantes that "settled" religious wars in France during the sixteenth century by giving recognition to the Huguenots.

 
This passage is home to two famous houses in the past and dates from the middles ages.
I thought this giant egg was cool. I don't know why it's there, but why not right?
Guys, I want this bed. I really do. Someday when I'm rich, i'm going to make myself a bed like this and a room of the style to go with it. It's gonna happen.
McKenna in awe of this empty loft at the top of the Musee Cognacq-
Jay, in the hotel de Donon built in the 1500s. I didn't post much from this museum, but it was cool.

This is le Musee Picasso. Warning, children may be frightened by things in this museum. Disturbing images may be present, such as the image on the right. He looks in pain, I can feel his agony melting off of him.

The garden of le Musee. I'm not sure what these sculptures are supposed to be, but there are quite a few of them. They remind of weird animals from star wars. They just need eyes or teeth.

I like these guys. Not too friendly looking, but they're cool.
Wait for it guys...This is the head of a women. One of the more flattering ones in the museum. I'm in awe. No, sarcasm isn't present here.

Now I really am in awe. This ceiling is awesome!

The guy on the left reminds me of Wall-i. They have the same face and they're both holding plants.

Ya...ya I know what these are. :)
                                                               Simply astonishing.
It's Gollum you guys!!!! Lord of the Rings seems to be a trend here.

Mom, can I make my plates like this one? It'll make eating gross things more fun. Jk.

I saw these and said to McKenna, look these are actually normal/good! Then I saw that they weren't done by Picasso. Figures.

Ah yes, that's the Picasso we know...and love?

More awesome in the Jewish quarter.

In the distance you can see St. Paul from our earlier walk in the picture on the right. The picture on the right is a close up of that old house also from that walk.
It's not a good picture, but here's the spider I killed today. I found an old milk bottle, climbed up on the stool and whacked it a few times. This thing is pretty big. Maybe about the size of my thumb. Just saying. I'm going to be an expert spider killer by the time I get back. No, that does not mean I get to be in charge of killing them from now on. Score so far: Spider 0, Ashley 2, McKenna 1.
This is what we had for dinner tonight. :) Coos coos, baked tomatoes with meatballs in them and bread with cheese of course, with yogurt for dessert. It was super good.

No comments:

Post a Comment