Tuesday, May 3, 2016

La Place de la Concorde et l'Arch de Triomphe again!
      This time we're actually doing a walk for class and we just wanted to climb to the top of the arch in nice weather, which thank heaven we had! Until the clouds came in the afternoon and ruined everything. Darn you clouds! For the record, this was on Monday, May 2. Ok, in order, after class this morning we went to the shop pictured below. Won't go into detail on that shop except that the food is really good. After that we were off to Concorde. Once we got there we realized that we started from the end on the map, so we decided to do the walk backwards. Why not switch things up a bit, right? It was great to walk through the garden in good weather. It was the first day that I didn't need to wear my jacket! I was so happy. From the park, we went to the square where the Obelisque is and ate lunch. After learning about it and the square from our text book, we continued the walk which took us to past the American Embassy, the British Embassy, and the house of the french president. Needless to say, there were a lot of scary guys with guns around. We also walked by the two most expensive and exclusive hotels in France. As well as many huge brand name shops like Channel. It's always nice to to be in the presence of something that's "worth" more than you. Keeps you humble. We finished the walk by passing a run down theatre that used to be famous. It made me sad to see it in such disrepair. We also saw a statue of the man, Charles de Gaulle, that the square was named for. Then we were off down la rue: Champs Élysées toward the Arch de Triomphe. It was nice to go on top and see everything. Paris is a spectacular view. The Arch is in the center of a rotonde which has streets shooting out from it in all directions. From the top, it looks really cool. After we were done admiring the view, we went to the museum in the garden: L'Orangerie. This is a small art museum that has and does house some very famous artist's work such as Picasso, Renoir, and Monet. We were all pretty tired by this time, but we really liked the water lilies. We decided we needed to take a break, so we called it good for the walk and went to sit in the chairs by the fountain in the garden. We just sat there for about twenty minutes or so. It was a little cold by now, but not too bad. We had ward FHE that  night. Carson didn't go, but the rest of us did. They have a lesson, talk back, a game and then dinner. The lesson was on dating. I'm not gonna lie, I only half way listened to the lesson because I was too busy falling asleep to translate the french in my head. Communication is so fun. Yes there is a double meaning to that. The game was Scorpion and dinner was amazing!! I was starving. We had baked potatoes with chili and salad. Sooooo good. For dessert there was corn flakes covered in deliciousness. Similar to muddy buddies. I could have died and gone to heaven. The people were nice. Met a pair of twins. I like them. Apparently I look like i'm eighteen, McKenna looks like she's sixteen, and the others look 20 or younger as well. Go us for looking younger than we are. We're gonna love that when we're old. Cecilia gave the classic, french greeting/goodbye (kiss on both cheeks). This is something for me to get used to. On our way out, one of the men asked us to go to a night club. (Basically asked Natalie on a date) That was fun to say no to. We're not allowed to  intermix with the boys here like that. To quote my teacher, "Nothing good happens after midnight" anyway. This guy also gave us the kiss on both cheeks. It's a hit and miss thing. I'm still learning when it's ok to do that or to use the informal form of addressing people etc. Learning Experiences all the time. That's about all of importance for Monday.  

 This is a little shop by our school called Legay Choc. It's exactly what it sounds like. Don't ask. The food there though is really good and the prices are decent.
 This is what I bought for brunch. It's similar to a cinnamon roll in structure, but its basically buttery bread with sugar. It was a weird texture, but it was good. :) Trying new things. Whoo hooo!
 This car is smaller than regular smart cars in the states!!!! Insane. I don't know how anyone would feel safe driving it. I feel like you'd get crushed because no one could see you. It is good for weaving in and out of traffic though and parking is a plus.
 Awesome statue in the Garden tulleries. I might have just spelled that wrong. Shh!
 Moi at le place de Concorde! This plaque marks the spot where the guillotine took so many lives including Marie Antoinette. It's right next to the obelisque which I found out is a gift from Egypt after the revolution to create better relations. It is in the spot where Louis XV's statue used to stand before it was toppled during the revolution. Super cool.

 This isn't a good picture. Sorry, but they're fixing up the building right now. This is where Benjamin Franklin signed the alliance treaty with King Louis XVI. Isn't that cool?!!!!
 Awesome statue marks the spot: Place e la Concorde
 I thought about trying to imitate this statue, but realized that though i'm pretty awesome, i'm not that awesome.

 Old run down theater that we passed on our walk. It was designed by a top architect of France, and was popular at it's time, but now it's pretty run down.
 This is a statue of Charles de Gaulle. He was a famous general, I think who died in battle. He's pretty important because they have a metro stop named after him. I'm obviously learning so much. ;)
 Not the best lighting, but McKenna is imitating the soldier. Isn't she lovely?

 Me on top of the Arch de Triomphe! Once again, it's like you can see all of Paris! Love the view from up high.
 Building I saw while up there. Can I just say that this building has got some serious vines, or whatever those plants are, going on.  Interesting gardening choice. Not judging though. Funny story to go along with plants on buildings. Natalie, Haley, McKenna, Carson and I were together on this trip. I asked how they made roof top gardens possible and McKenna said, "A lot of dirt." Then Carson said, "I was planning on growing my own potatoes out of a trash can, but that's way cooler. " We looked at him and laughed. " It's true. Look on Pintrist." Maybe it's one of those "had to be there" moments, but we all thought it was hilarious.
 I saw a hot air balloon in the distance. Is't is awesome! Someday i'm going to ride one.
 Natalie climbing stairs from the top of the arch. So many stairs!!!!! Do you see how far down it goes? I'm going to have serious leg muscles.
 
Went to the l'Orangerie Art Museum. I'm not bragging or anything, but i'm standing in front of Monet's water lilies paintings. Never knew, but apparently they're a series, not just one painting like I thought. I got to see them all. These two are my favorites.
 Also got to see lots of other famous artists work such as Renoir and this awesome dude! Artist dream come true. Some of the paintings I saw though, I swear, I could have done. Famous people can get away with things I suppose. Explains how dots can sell now for millions.
After the museum we decided to take a break by the fountain in the garden. McKenna is super comfortable, can't you tell?

No comments:

Post a Comment